Chesnutt Library Blog

“Because it’s all about ‘U,’” the Chesnutt Library Blog is designed to promptly and efficiently provide timely news, inform of library events, books, databases and more for our students, staff and faculty. In our effort to enhance communication, the Chesnutt Library Blog will bring academic resources together in one place, with one click, with one purpose in mind - Educational Excellence - designed to enhance learning, guarantee access and promote scholarship.

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Interesting Article - "Remedial Civility Training"

An associate professor of English wrote an interesting article in the Chronicle of Higher Education lamenting the lack of courtesy in today's students:

"I am an English professor, but I teach a lot of general-education courses, including a large, required survey of Western civilization.

Every morning, after setting up all the multimedia components I'm going to need, I stand at the door of my 8:30 a.m. classroom in my jacket and tie and say, "Good morning" to each entering student.

Only a few will say "Hi" or "Good morning" in return. About half will give me a somewhat confused nod, not quite making eye contact. The rest will not even look at me; they look at their shoes and keep walking, exuding a vaguely suspicious and hostile air."

Benton, Thomas H. "Remedial Civility Training." The Chronicle of Higher Education.
07May2007

To read the entire article click here.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Good brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home